Monday, March 8, 2010

In an early attempt at self-promotion

Dear Friends,

Those of you who know me well know that I can be an awkward introvert who sometimes has difficulty making eye contact. I happen to be proud of my introverted nature and even believe that without it I wouldn't have written all of these poems, as I would have instead been out in the world being extroverted. However, I very happily won a book prize last year (the Kathryn A. Morton Prize in Poetry through Sarabande Books), and with it came a book contract, and with that this thing where I have to promote myself and try to get people to be interested in my book. Sarabande is helping immensely with both of these aspects, but I'm beginning to try my hand at self-promotion. Because I can't seem to get it together to create a website, I'm going to start with this blog. I'll use this space to give updates about what is happening with the publication process, reading dates, etc. Despite the whole introvert thing, I love to give public readings and I promise to look directly into your eyes in a way that will not make you uncomfortable, should you choose to attend one of my readings in the Northeast or Midwest.

I only have one date to note as of now: my book release party! It will take place on Saturday, May 22 at the Lily Pad in Inman Square, Cambridge: 1353 Cambridge Street. The party will begin at 8 PM with socializing and drinks, which will be followed by a reading that will include me and my wonderful poet friends. Think of it as a celebration of poetry itself. If you live nearby I hope you will come. My mom will be there!

Love,
Julie

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Julie!

    If you need any advice or help creating your website, I can offer either or both and I would be happy to help.

    -Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, I'm probably going to take you up on that! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete