Sunday, April 7, 2013

I'll be posting some of my NaPoWriMo poems here this month. All poems are dedicated to Frank O'Hara. Here is one:


Mouse

Under the fridge hum
I hear its scratchy life
and jump. I stop all
thinking so I can feel it
breathing there. Downstairs
Richard helps the tenants
bring in the old stove, so I
hear also their floored-over
voices with the wind outside
which is blowing much too
hard and cold for April.
In the face of neighborly
pity, I admit I am a
curmudgeon, childless
while other houses explode
with infants, flowers. And
yet there’s a saggy wealth
here somewhere: pleasant
doom in the corner
of every drawer, a giddy
displacement, a shaved-
down saving of myself
and with it the memory
of gravestones yesterday
that marked the pulses each
body tried out once. Mouseless,
I swoop inside myself now
in this moment with everything
I can’t see, take one last
flying leap through my lungs,
and land tenderly in a leotard
at my own feet, astonished.

No comments:

Post a Comment