Friday, July 30, 2010

Post Moxie Updates

Hi Everyone,

The reading Deep Moat Reading last weekend was wonderful. There was such a great feeling in the room, and I loved meeting Nate and Francesca, two great poets that I think I'll see again. Pierre Menard in Harvard Square will be closing soon (its sister business, Lame Duck Books, is also closing--sad!) and I feel lucky to have read in such a beautiful space. Thank you to all of my friends who were there.

Other news: I will be reading and doing a Q & A at Purdue University on October 14. I will be reading with the novelist Jessica Anthony as part a debut authors series for the MFA program there. Thank you to my dad for helping me to set this up! I'm looking forward to meeting in person Lindsey Alexander, the Sarabande intern who has helped me so much in setting up my tour and who will be a first-year poet in Purdue's MFA program. And my reading in Bloomington is official too: I'll be at Boxcar Books on October 16, a Saturday, for a 7 PM reading.

And this I just found out today: I was accepted at the Vermont Studio Center for a month-long residency in March 2011! Though I did not get a full fellowship, I will be getting substantial financial help to attend this beautiful artists' colony in Johnson, VT. I think I'm going to have to do it. I have nearly 40 poems for my new manuscript and I think I could get some serious work done if I had a month to devote to writing. As many of you understand, the act of writing usually waits (patiently or otherwise) in the background as we go about the business of earning money, running errands, taking care of a house, and the million other little tasks that make us busy little Western worker bees. The gift of time will be very precious to me and to my new poetry. Oh, and they also have a beautiful meditation center there! Check it out:
Will it be cold in VT in early March? Hell yes! And I will have no dachshund or Richard to help keep me warm. But it really feels like the right thing to do. Though it all feels infinitely far away as I sit in my kitchen in full-on Somerville summer, complete with blasting Brazilian radio, very loud construction crews, and traffic outside.



No comments:

Post a Comment